Because the recipe is so incredibly simple, and we make them so often, I love experimenting with different ingredients each time. I’ve made a list below of some of the options we’ve tried. The recipe I’ll provide here is for the basic vegan no-bake energy bites. Substitute whatever you wish!
• 1 cup (dry) rolled oats
• 1/2 cup almond butter
• 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
• 1/3 cup blue agave
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Stir until thoroughly mixed. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes (or until you remember that these are in fact in the refrigerator.)
2. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you like. I’ll typically make smaller ones for the kids and larger ones for Scott and I. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to one week.
• Add 1 tablespoon of chia seeds for extra fiber and protein
• Add 1/2 cup toasted coconut flakes for more yum
• Substitute chocolate for dates or raisins (we do this for the kids)
• Substitute agave nectar for honey for less sweetness
I’ll typically pack these for the kids to have for a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. Scott and I will grab these on our way out the door in the morning. They’re always great for a guilt-free midnight snack too! And because they contain flax and oatmeal, they are great for increasing milk supply!