With school parties, trick-or-treating and all of the fun snacks in between, Halloween is a full-on sugar rush for my kids. Because of this, I always try to be mindful with their meals throughout the day. This carrot and orange smoothie is a favorite of mine and something I like to keep in my back pocket whenever the kids need a little extra vitamin C – especially during the height of flu season! Carrots are so easily disguised when mixed with oranges, sometimes my kids can’t even tell when I mix the two together.
Given that it’s very orange, I thought it would be the perfect treat for Halloween breakfast (or an afternoon snack). It’s also loaded with vitamins and minerals, like vitamins B & C, fiber, calcium, potassium and beta-carotene, so your little ones will start the day off on the right foot!
– 2 ripe bananas (frozen bananas work best)
– 1 cup orange juice
– 1 orange, peeled and cut into chunks
– 3/4 cup almond milk
– 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
– 1 big handful of carrots
– Ice (if you are not using frozen bananas, you may want ice)
* I will also throw in mangos from time to time to give it a little tropical flavor.
– Throw everything together in your blender on high speed for one full minute. The consistency will be that of orange juice with pulp, so if you or your kids aren’t a fan of that texture, use a strainer before serving.